KINGDOM OF ROCK BRUDALL
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

TOUT SUR LE ROCK ET METAL

AccueilDernières imagesRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
-39%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Ordinateur portable ASUS Chromebook Vibe CX34 Flip
399 € 649 €
Voir le deal

MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS

AuteurMessage
bru_dall

bru_dall

MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Empty
MessageSujet: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:07

MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS In Exclusive BraveWords.com Interview

MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS T139385 After the demise of HANOI ROCKS in 2009, legendary frontman MICHAEL MONROE set out to assemble the ultimate supporting band for his new project. That band now consists of bassist Sami Yaffa (NEW YORK DOLLS, ex-Hanoi Rocks), guitarist Ginger (THE WILDHEARTS), guitarist Steve Conte (New York Dolls) and drummer Karl Rockfist (ex-DANZIG). After sold out shows and glowing reviews, Monroe returned to his adopted hometown of New York City. His first show there in over 10 years on May 9th at the Highline Ballroom was at capacity and Monroe did not disappoint. Cory Lambert on special assignment for BraveWords.com, sat down with Monroe, Yaffa and Ginger for an in-depth interview shortly before show time.

MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS M

BraveWords.com: Why did Hanoi Rocks breakup? Street Poetry was a phenomenal album and arguably one of your best albums along with Two Steps From The Move.
Monroe: "We broke up because we took it as far as we could go. It wasn't going any further. We weren't writing any more songs after Street Poetry, for a year and a half. We didn't do anything new and it just didn't feel like fun anymore and you know, It was time to wrap it up. Some people ask me what's the difference between the old Hanoi and the new Hanoi. Well, the difference is actually that, in the old Hanoi, I mean you can't really compare them, first of all, different time, different place. But in the old Hanoi, you could not replace any member. In the new one it was more like me and Andy and the other guys you know. So you know, people got replaced. With the old original Hanoi, no one could be replaced. But anyway, yeah...we took it as far as it could go and it wasn't going anywhere anymore and I did not want to become a jukebox playing the same old stuff over and over. It would stifle my creativity so it was time to move on. And boy am I happy I did, I got a great new band now."

BraveWords.com: Do you still keep in contact with Andy?
Monroe: "I haven't you know, its not like we don't. But no, I havent actually, kept in touch, obviously because we are not working together anymore. I haven't really seen him since ... a long time ago."

BraveWords.com: Do you feel the addition of Karl and Steve brought something new to the band?
Monroe: "Yeah, I love Karl, he's a great guy and a great drummer. I also think Steve fits in perfectly."

BraveWords.com: Are you currently shopping for a label?
Monroe: "We are not shopping. I am hoping they will come after us after we make a little noise. We're not rushing. We have not signed with anyone but JVC in Japan."

BraveWords.com: How did you hook up with Ginger?
Monroe: "With Ginger? We got together in Finland, in Espoo, near Helsinki."
Yaffa: "That's where I'm from y'all. The 21 area code man, c'mon! (laughs)"
Monroe: "ALICE COOPER was doing a show in Espoo, and I went to see him, my idol and friend nowadays, its great. And Ginger was there. I went up to do 'Schools Out' with Alice and after the show Ginger said he wanted to talk to me in person, privately and we had a little chat...and he heard that Sami and I had been putting a new band together and he said he would very much like to be a part of it. I said well, let me bring it up to Sami and then I told Sami the next day and Sami said that it could be amazing. It worked out, so, we said yes, let's go for it. And it worked out brilliantly."
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://myspace.com/brudall
bru_dall

bru_dall

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:10

BraveWords.com: But I guess the question was with Sami already in the New York Dolls and Ginger in the Wildhearts how was that going to work? Would it cause any problems?
Monroe: " Well Ginger was ready to move on, well, you can ask the guy himself, actually he's there. The Wildhearts were going to on a hiatus ...wasn't that it?"
Ginger: "The Wildhearts were working really intensely for the last couple of years. The thing with the Wildhearts, is that we don't want to turn boring or fall out or you know, feel like we're just treading water. So we like to have breaks and a couple of guys spending time with their families. And me and Scott kinda go and do something musical. That's the way we have always done it really."

BraveWords.com: I don't think there's been that much of the Wildhearts in this part of the world in regards to touring and stuff...
Ginger: "I know...I know...you guys just didn't really like it. (round of laughter) The people who like it, love it. It's just that there's not that many of them to really warrant booking more than one or two gigs. You know what I mean?"

BraveWords.com: The problem is, if you're the record buying public, especially in this part of the world, all the stuff, that is not released here, with the exception of the Dolls records, which are released here, are very expensive. For example, Street Poetry cost $37.00 here, via Japan, which is approx. 3 times the cost of a new domestic release.
Monroe: "Holy Fuck!"
Yaffa: "You should just download it for free from Limewire...everyone else does."
Monroe: "It's insane! It's insane. It's not my fault we are a rare commodity!"

BraveWords.com: But we believe in supporting the bands.
Yaffa: "Now that's a rare commodity right there."
Monroe: "Yeah. I really appreciate that right there. I just wished the money would actually go to the bands, but everyone has to get their cut and it doesn't really..."
Yaffa: "Go to us...."
Monroe: "But anyway yeah..."
Yaffa: "And with the Dolls it was the same thing. We've been on the road for five years solid, really touring a lot. We just kinda slowed down and we had no definite plans this year at all. We did a week and half tour a few weeks back...and we do a few more shows in a couple weeks and then after that, its just kinda out in the open.
Monroe: "It was a perfect time to do this."
Yaffa: "We've been talking for a while to do something."

bru_dall

bru_dall

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:13

BraveWords.com: You have been getting great reviews with this line-up - what are your thoughts on that? The one that stands out is a review from the O2 Arena in London. Fantastic review. I think he referred to it as the second coming and that if there was one band you must see, its this band.
Monroe: "London, yeah."

BraveWords.com: What are your thoughts on that because you haven't played here in over ten years. Are you surprised by the response you are getting?
Monroe: "Yeah it's great to have such great feedback. It's really encouraging. Really makes me feel like...well, I'd be doing this anyway...but...this is even better, that people really appreciate it and there seems to be a place for a band like this."

BraveWords.com: You are already playing new material in your live sets - but, how do you decide what to play with each night and will you ever play anything from the Jerusalem Slim album?
Monroe: "Unlikely to play anything from that album. (round of laughter). Even when it came out, I did an anti-promotional tour in Japan. I said don't buy this record, it's a piece of shit. (still laughing) As a protest, I did not play anything from it. So if I was saying don't buy this record then, why would I play anything off it now? (laughs) It was the worst thing that's ever happened in my solo career."

BraveWords.com: One song, 'Motörheaded For A Fall' seems to be a nod to Lemmy - how did that come about? Why the nod to Lemmy?
Monroe: "Nod to Lemmy? Because Lemmy's a hero, a legend, a great guy, he's always been consistent, he's never changed. He's never screwed up a show no matter what he's done. He's an icon and you know, it's really a song about MOTÖRHEAD people, people who like to go fast. It's a reference that lends itself to Lemmy also and is therefore dedicated to him."

BraveWords.com: Is it true that Lemmy once offered to back you up on tour or was it in the studio?
Monroe: "Yeah! After Hanoi broke up (in May 1985), me and Stiv Bators were at Motörhead's Hammersmith Odeon show in London and WENDY O. WILLIAMS was opening up. Lemmy was feeling so bad for me, losing my band and such and said if you need it, ya know, we'll back you up. He said it that night and I said 'Wow!'"
Ginger: "Was that Motörhead or just Lemmy? (Ginger was filming the interview...)"
Monroe: "Motörhead."
Ginger: "Motörhead was going to be your backup band?"
Monroe: "That would have been insane!"
Ginger: "Wow!"
Yaffa: "Holy shit!"
Monroe: "The Motörhead fans would have ripped me apart I'm sure. (Laughs) Who's that pretty boy? Yeah he said it back then and I was like, 'Wow, man - thanks!'"

BraveWords.com: Would have been interesting.
Monroe: "But what a compliment!"

BraveWords.com: Beauty and the beast maybe?
Monroe: "Lemmy did some shows with THE DAMNED."
Yaffa: "Oh yeah..."
Monroe: "Apparently Captain and the guys did a Motörhead song and screwed it up really bad (laughs). So Lemmy said to them: 'You did one fucking Motörhead song and you fucked it up, you cunt!' (laughs) Anyway yeah, so.... 'Motörheaded For A Fall'."

bru_dall

bru_dall

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:17

BraveWords.com: When anyone speaks of Michael Monroe's solo career, they always mention DEMOLITION 23. An incredible record produced by LITTLE STEVEN and do you think you will work with him again?
Monroe: "Well, I would love to but Steven is very busy. I hope he's gonna show up tonight. He was going to. I would not say no to that, he was great! That's one of the best albums I've made, if not the best one I've done. It was supposed to be my solo album but Sami came up with the full name for the band, from William Burroughs right?"
Yaffa: "Yeah."

BraveWords.com: Is the Japanese home video of Demolition 23 going to be released on DVD?
Monroe: "That's on DVD in Japan. Or...at least on VHS."

BraveWords.com: I have the VHS.
Monroe: "I have a DVD ...but maybe someone burned me one. The album was only out in Japan I guess."
(Editor note: was released in the UK also on Music For Nations.).

BraveWords.com: Is it still in print?
Monroe: "Probably out of print."
Yaffa: "I don't think so."
Monroe: "I don't think so. Little Steven and I own it. And Steven has been talking about releasing it in the States because it was never was released officially here. That might happen though as now that we have a band playing those songs, he might do it for real."

BraveWords.com: In SLASH's (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES) biography he called you, and I am paraphrasing, "an incredible talent who doesn't get the credit you deserve." Care to comment?
Monroe: "That's very nicely said. Warms my heart. Well, its a great compliment. I love Slash. He's a real, real sweet guy and its sweet of him to say that."

BraveWords.com: You also covered 'Magic Carpet Ride' (STEPPENWOLF) with Slash for the Coneheads soundtrack - how did you end up working with Slash back then? I think this was Slash's first collaboration where he was the artist working with another artist as opposed to him guesting on another album.
Monroe: "He called me back then before that and said he wanted to do a song. They were finishing their European tour (Editor's note: June 93) at Milton Keynes in the UK. Around that time, my grandmother died, she was 99 and she was my best friend. I went to the funeral in Finland and Slash called. He told me to be prepared as he may call any day to do the project. So he called and said, lets do it now and I said Sami should be the bass player. He'd be the best and we got tickets and flew to London to do the song. It was a lot of fun, great session. Kenny Aronoff on the drums."

BraveWords.com: Great track.
Monroe: "Yeah, killer band. We did two versions. Slash wanted to do a version like the original but there was another arrangement we had worked out. I mentioned to Little Steven that I was going to do that song, so me and Steven worked on it a bit beforehand. I suggested the new arrangement to Slash and he said we should do both. And leave it to Warner Brothers to decide which one they think is best. They ended up picking the new arrangement."

BraveWords.com: And the other version?
Monroe: "I have it at home on cassette and I have not put it out anywhere and I won't. We agreed back then not to put it out. So far, its only for Slash and mine's personal pleasure. (laughs) That would be cool to release it but Warner Brothers probably owns it as they paid for it. I don't know..gotta ask Slash. Both versions were great."

BraveWords.com: Have you heard Slash's new CD?
Monroe: "I heard it once. Sounded good. Great production and everything."

BraveWords.com: You are playing the Summersonic Festival in Japan, which you also played with Hanoi Rocks, who are huge in Japan - how different is it to play as a solo artist?
Monroe: "Great...with this band I feel even stronger. More my bag!"

BraveWords.com: I have to agree. According to what I've seen on YouTube, the crowds are really into it.
Monroe: "Yeah! No point in comparing the two, but really I feel more at home with this band. These guys are so great, so much positive energy that I really feel much better. I'm not worried at all, about anything. It's gonna be real interesting to see. It's a great way to get out to the Japanese and present the band at the Summersonic Festival in both Tokyo and Osaka. The same way we did with Hanoi back then. So yeah, I'm really happy we are doing those gigs."

BraveWords.com: There seems to be a wealth of Michael Monroe TV appearances over the years - any chance you will be releasing a DVD like AC/DC did with Family Jewels? For the fans?
Monroe: "That would be great. Maybe one day. No concrete plans for something like that yet, but there's a lot of stuff yeah. Would be great to do something like that one day."

BraveWords.com: For example, whenever you go to Japan, there seems to be countless video footage of Michael Monroe floating around the net and YouTube. Everything seems to be filmed...
Monroe: "Everyone has cameras nowadays. Everything's documented everywhere. You cant get away with anything..."

BraveWords.com: Well, at least what's being documented it all meeting positive feedback.
Monroe: "At least people are not saying - what the fuck is this? They are saying this is great. Gotta go see the real thing. You can't control that and I wouldn't want to either. It's nice to know we have the goods to deliver. No matter how it's documented."

BraveWords.com: Do you have a favourite album that you have been a part of?
Monroe: "The Demolition 23 album, Not Fakin' It - are my fave solo albums. Warrior Soul - Chill Pill."

BraveWords.com: I love that record.
Monroe: "I was proud to be a part of that. Also Sun City with Little Steven. Was a great honor to be amongst all those people, all those names. From Miles Davis to Keith Richards to Joey Ramone, Stiv Bators. Plus, ya know, working with Stiv and JOHNNY THUNDERS on his album Que Sera Sera. Its a cool record. Maybe the first one was better, So Alone, but I was still proud to be a part of that. Working with Johnny in any capacity is a great honor. Working with Stiv, I was in the studio when the LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH were doing Like A Virgin, kind of producing the vocals. Stiv never thought he could sing that high. (sings high - 'You're So Fine And You're Mine' from Like a Virgin). So I told him to sing like that. It was Miles Copeland's idea to do that cover. And singing backup with SEBASTIAN BACH on Motörhead's 'Born To Raise Hell' (which appeared on the the Airheads soundtrack). I didn't get a credit because the record company got that guy from UGLY KID JOE (Whitfield Crane). Lemmy told me the last time I saw him that I was on there, but I never got the credit. Because we did some killer backing vocals. But the record company was so carried away with the Ugly Kid Joe guy, as he was the flavour of the month then. However, I was proud to say that I sang on a Motörhead song."

BraveWords.com: It's funny how you mentioned Warrior Soul as I was told once that Michael Monroe joined Warrior Soul. And I said no he didn't but you are credited as being part of the band on that album - Chill Pill. Which I thought was their best record. Loved the song 'High Road'.
Monroe: "'High Road'. That was the first time I ever did a harp solo, not only in one take, but without even hearing the song before. Kory (Clarke, singer for Warrior Soul) was just playing the song to me in the headphones in the studio and pointing out where the harp parts were. (hums the song). At the same time I was playing along to it, as I was getting a feel for the song. After that I said 'OK, lets do it, I'm ready.' But then Kory said (mimicking Kory) 'That was killer man! That's it, you're done!' I was like, 'Wow, I've been known to do one take but that was like without even hearing the song before.' I thought that was remarkable. It was a killer album and there was 'Ha Ha Ha' which had some insane sax. That was their 'Fuck You David Geffen let us go' record. Kory just wanted to get off the label. Someone at Geffen pulled the plug. That's probably why 'Ha Ha Ha' has one minute of noise at the end. I could just imagine the folks at Geffen listening to that and going 'What the hell is this?' I loved being part of that album."

bru_dall

bru_dall

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:20

BraveWords.com: You were part of the JOHNNY THUNDER tribute CD I Only Wrote This Song For You a few years back also.
Monroe: "I did 'Disappointed In You' and 'So Alone' on that album."

BraveWords.com: Incredible record. Very eclectic mix.
Monroe: "I was proud of that album too. That was magical. I could really feel Johnny's spirit. I saw a ghost on the wall when I was doing the vocals for 'So Alone'. It was in one of the oldest buildings in England, just outside London. And it was just this grey figure that appeared on the wall. I had some wine to get in the mood before singing. I don't know what it was or who it was or if it was Johnny or not, but it was magical. And even Sami said that vocal was amazing. Like there was this tone as if my voice was two voices. (sings 'Always trying to work me out...')."

BraveWords.com: I thought it was your best vocal on record.
Monroe: "Really? Thank you."

BraveWords.com: I know there is another track from those sessions with you and the beautiful and talented Alison Gordy doing 'Help The Homeless'.
Monroe: "We did and a lot of people say it was better than the version that's on the record that we didn't sing on."

BraveWords.com: I think it was also.
Monroe: "You heard it?"

BraveWords.com: Yeah.
Monroe: "I thought it was cool."

BraveWords.com: I heard the track years ago and thought your vocals with Alison's were very complimentary. But I guess it was not released due to the other two tracks being there already.
Monroe: "That was the problem, they already had me on two songs and yet we did another."

BraveWords.com: Do you think it will ever get released if its that good? Like on a Michael Monroe rarities album?
Monroe: "It remains to be seen. I don't have the rights to it...so we will have to see in the future. Maybe after I expand my fame a little more and get in a position where I can make a CD like that. Right now I'm just happy if I can make an album with this band."

BraveWords.com: Any shows planned for Canada in the near future?
Monroe: "We were planning doing the North by Northeast Festival but something came up. Maybe next year. I really want to play in Canada. We've been talking about it a lot. Theres a big following there. I want to be there before too long but too early to say at this point."

BraveWords.com: Some crazy people in Canada.
Monroe: "Bob Ezrin (PINK FLOYD, ALICE COOPER, KISS)."

BraveWords.com: Sebastian Bach.
Monroe: "Sebastian is probably coming to the show tonight."

BraveWords.com: I remember the last show in Toronto in '98 but it was not promoted as it was a very short notice gig. I recall a very enthusiastic crowd and the place was packed.
Monroe: "It was amazing. Really want to come back."

BraveWords.com: So what's next for Michael Monroe? Can we expect a CD or DVD from this line-up.
Monroe: "CD for sure. We just wrote three new songs over the last few days. We already have an albums worth of material written so we are gonna write a bunch more and choose the best ones and put out a CD in the early part of next year if not before. We are not rushing into it. A killer album, High energy rock and roll, with smart lyrics and good melodies. Really good stuff."

BraveWords.com: Anything filmed for a DVD?
Monroe: "Ginger's been documenting and filming everything. (everyone laughs) He's gotten into this whole editing thing and its really cool. He's put together some really cool things starting from the beginning of this year. He's filmed some stuff in Texas and California and in Finland. It's gonna be a cool little project. And my friend Tim Sheridan from CSI:Miami has been filming some shows and stuff."

BraveWords.com: Any words for your Canadian fans as we sit here in New York?
Monroe: "I love you all, hang in there and we are gonna be there before too long to play in Canada. Even with Sami, we've been talking about it a lot. Big audience in Toronto and we've spent a lot of time there."

BraveWords.com: Two Steps From The Move was recorded here at Phase One in Scarborough, the Toronto suburb.
Monroe: "Yeah, bed tracks in New York and actual recording was done there. We did pre-production there also - we were there for a couple of months. We will see you there - ASAFP. As Soon As Fucking Possible! Just hang in there. Be patient. Definitely want to come up there. It's worth the wait. Something to look forward to for us and the fans who appreciate good rock and roll."

For more information on Monroe visit Michaelmonroe.com.
bru_dall

bru_dall

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:24

bru_dall

bru_dall

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitimeLun 24 Mai - 22:28

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS   MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS Icon_minitime

MICHAEL MONROE Talks About Life After HANOI ROCKS
Page 1 sur 1